Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paphos - Currency/ATMs

I am going to Paphos on 16th July and was wondering whether to take cyprus pounds or euro%26#39;s.





Also if I use a cash machine while I am over there do I get the choice of cyprus pounds or euro and will I get stung with bank charges when I get home.





Any help would be appreciated.





Thanks



Ann




|||



you need euros only ,sorry cant help with cash machines.




|||



Cyprus cash machines now only give you Euro%26#39;s also the charge each time you take out money is about £1.75 UK sterling. Hope this helps, we have the same dilemma do we take Euro%26#39;s or take sterling (a lot of money to carry around) or just take out money when we are over there.




|||



do you get charged if you take travellers cheques,its a long time since i used them, usually just take the cash, and can you still you visa electron in cyprus




|||



Not sure about visa electron but I an sure you could use your card, we normally just take euro%26#39;s in cash so not cashed travellers cheques, I think if you shop around you would find places that don%26#39;t charge you a fee for cashing them.




|||



The Cyprus pound only now exists on all of the signs outside the restaurants you will see a £ sign but don%26#39;t think that is the UK sterling equvilant it is there to show what it would have cost in Cyprus Pounds.





Plastic is widely accepted everywhere but your bank will add a handling fee of about 2% per transaction,





UNLESS you get a NATIONWIDE credit/debit charge they are the only ones who do not charge for using the card abroad, I have had a Nationwide card for years and only ever use it abroad (as it doesn%26#39;t give you any freebies like M %26amp; S vouchers so there%26#39;s no advantage using it at home) but it does give a very good exchange rate, I was in Cyprus last week and was getting 1.26 euros on my Nationwide card.



I always used cash through the day and the Nationwide card for evening meals or bigger spends.





Hope this helps




|||



hi , cash machines are widespread %26amp; have the option of english or greek language. when my wife %26amp; i go we tend to take £100 worth of euros %26amp; then use my cah card as when we need money.yes you will get charged by your bank but it%26#39;s safer than taking all cash %26amp; if cheaper than taking travellers cheques(you pay to buy %26amp; cash them ) we take £2oo(which lasts the 2 of us a good few days) out a time so wer%26#39;e not getting hit with too many charges.



as for security i%26#39;ve never had aproblem with my card in cyprus but have here in the uk.




|||



winker -yes a lot of places (more than here )take electron.




|||



There are plenty of cash machines - I can%26#39;t agree with the comment about the Nationwide acounts enough - I survived the whole holiday on my Flex account (free cash withdrawals) and Nationwide credit card (again no fees). If you do that you don%26#39;t need to mess around with changing money or travellers cheques.




|||



Hi





I have in the past taken travellers cheques, but this year have invested in a Nationwide Card, but I will be taking a few Euros in cash to see me over the first day.




|||



There are no Cyprus pounds any more.They changed over on New Year%26#39;s Eve. I was there.



Euros are it!!!!



Apparently, prices have risen, which seems to be normal after a currency change.

No comments:

Post a Comment