Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cyprusliving.org

Recently joined this website, lasted a few days and now they have banned me. It is good for information but the minute you try to ineract with people they delete your threads. All I did was answer a topic asking for a hire car recommendation. The next thing some woman who wasnt even an administraor said I suggest you delete the link. The site has accepted payment from a firm to advertise so if your recommendations rival this firm they delete the thread.





I would browse this for info like i say, but if you try and express your own experiences they will gang up on you and shut you down.





Whats anyone elses experiences of this site?






|||



The same i%26#39;m afraid. Cyprus living can also run along the same lines. You need to find a site that does not earn money per click, or one with very little advertising.



Also don%26#39;t forget some of these forum members are based in the tourist industry and can paint a rosy picture to fill their own pockets at the expense of the gullible tourist.




|||



I find this site (tripadvisor) the best of the lot. To be honest I%26#39;m frightened to post on the others, there%26#39;s always someone who will jump down your throat. Not so judgemental on here!




|||



This is a safe bet. The only problem is you do not always get the real feel for the country. You need a forum that offers warts and all, but then you can get the personal attacks.




|||



People commented on the firm that advertises with them, and complained that you cant get a quote online. You had to contact them. These threads were also deleted. I think I%26#39;l stick to trip advisor in future who dont gag you and let people discuss things openly.




|||



Cyprusliving.org mainly ex pats full of their own self inflated importance. Same goes for some of the eastern cyprus forums - the ex pats have very little to do with their time other than to post meaningless trivia and see other contributors as %26quot;outsiders%26quot;. Stick with TripAdvisor.




|||



I see you are a fan also...




|||



No patience with the whinging ex pats or the insular drivel they discuss on their forums but I am nosey and can%26#39;t help having a peek now and again! I won%26#39;t direct you to one forum specifically but yesterday there was a moan from a new UK resident that Cyprus has cockroaches and insects and how does one get rid of them!! Say no more.




|||



I have yet to find a hot country that doesnt have insects, we take a mozzie machine and plent of insect repellent and a pen from Boots which takes the sting out but does smell a bit. I have never been bitten in Cyprus in all the times I have been but in Cuba I was bitten terrible. The Cypriot mozzies obviously dont like me, it could be because I like a drink or two. Avon Skin Dry Oil Spray is quite good, the Soft %26amp; Fresh , turquoise one. If we manage to get to Paphos with Easy Jet after all the trouble which people are encountering I will just be grateful for that, I am looking forward to it as I always do.




|||



I saw your post Ste and I think the backlash you suffered was completely uncalled for.





I don%26#39;t really understand what that forum is for if you are not allowed to suggest your own recommendations.





Although I have only really been lurking on there, I have noticed that there are some really obnoxious and opinionated people who just try to score points against each other all the time.





Like you, I have the occasional peep to see what%26#39;s going on but I much prefer it on here where there is no censorship regarding genuinely recommending services etc.





Have I seen you on there recently Kath?




|||



No, don%26#39;t go on any more - just poke my nose in and out because I can%26#39;t resist it - there are times when I want to put my tuppence worth in but I think I%26#39;d get barred!!



Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment